Spaniard Omar Fraile won the 11th stage of the 2017 Giro d’Italia, a hilly 161-km trek from Florence to Bagno Di Romagna, though Dutchman Tom Dumoulin clung to his overall lead despite several attacks from his rivals on Wednesday.
Fraile (Dimension Data) beat former world champion Rui Costa (UAE Team Emirates) at the end of a long breakaway.
France’s Pierre Rolland (Cannondale-Drapac) finished third.
Briton Geraint Thomas, who had gained some ground back in Tuesday’s time trial after his ninth-stage crash, was unable to follow the top guns in the last climb.
Dumoulin (Team Sunweb) kept his cool despite repeated attacks from Italian Vincenzo Nibali (Astana) and Frenchman Thibaut Pinot (FDJ) to stay 2:23 ahead of Colombian Nairo Quintana (Movistar).
2017 Giro d’Italia – Stage 11 Brief Results:
- Omar Fraile (Dimension Data) 4:23:14”.
- Rui Costa (UAE Team Emirates) s.t.
- Pierre Rolland (Cannondale) s.t.
- Tanel Kangert (Astana) s.t.
- Giovanni Visconti (Bahrain) s.t.
- Ben Hermans (BMC Racing) s.t.
- Dario Cataldo (Astana) s.t.
- Simone Petilli (UAE Team Emirates) s.t.
- Maxime Monfort (Lotto) at 3”
- Laurens De Plus (Quick-Step) s.t
General Classification After Stage 11:
- Tom Dumoulin (Sunweb) 47:22:07”
- Nairo Quintana (Movistar) at 2:23”
- Bauke Mollema (Trek) at 2:38”.
- Thibaut Pinot (FDJ) at 2:40”.
- Vincenzo Nibali (Bahrain) at 2:47”.
- Andrey Amador (Movistar) at 3:05”.
- Bob Jungels (Quick-Step) at 3:56”.
- Tanel Kangert (Astana) at 3:59”.
- Domenico Pozzovivo (AG2R) at 4:05” .
- Ilnur Zakarin (Katusha) at 4:17”